  • Subject: Re: Module source naming schemes
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:31:18 -0600 (CST)

I generally pick a 5-char name for each module in a service program that
ends with "R4" to designate that I wrote it in RPG IV.

Then I start each procedure with the first 3 chars of that module name
(everything but the R4).    This way, when I see a procedure being called,
I know where to look for the source code for that procedure.

Example...  I have a library of routines for Finished Goods Inventory
in a module called FGIR4.   The procedures are called things like
"fgi_open"  "fgi_remove"  "fgi_slot"  "fgi_close", etc.

The "prototype member" which I often use for other things such as
named constants relating to the procedures in the service program,
I end with a "_H" to signify that its a header member.   (i.e. FGI_H)
This is mainly because I'm used to ".h" files in C -- at any rate, it
seems as good as any other method.

Generally I'd also name the actual service program "FGIR4", as well.  I
have not yet needed to bind more than module into a single service
program...   If I had many related service programs or modules, I could
always put them in a binding directory.

Instead of the 'F', 'N', 'C' values that you suggest, I prefer to have
something like  netf_open, netf_read, and netf_close procedures.  I find
that more intuitive, somehow.

Thats my 2 cents...