  • Subject: Re: WRKNETF API?
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:41:43 +1300

Jim

When I attempted to this I found I had to resort to a break handling
program partly as I recall due to the lack of API's.

I simply provided two functions. One function on the sending system
transmitted the file to a particular user and the second monitored the
target users message queue. When a file was received it invoked the break
handling program which parsed the message to get the net file details. Once
I had those I was able to process the save file however I liked.

Due to the lack of details associated with a NETF I used the file name to
provide some extra information for processing.

One idea I toyed with was having the send function load up a remote data
queue with the details so that the receiving system could use these details
to control processing. This would have involved trapping some of the
sending message details and transmitting them with the other details to
perform a smarter restore. I never got round to this chiefly because
at  the time (V3R7 I think) a remote data queue would return a does not
exist message rather than a communication broken message so it became a
little messy.  I never really had the time to complete it all anyway and
was struggling to convince the programmers to use the system anyway. It was
an effort to create change control from anarchy so it was a slog all the way.

You could of course use a data queue to control a loop in CL and have a
second CL that processed the file but I guess you are trying to have just
one program handle it all.

If this doesn't get you started or provide food for thought feel free to
request more details - I may even have the source somewhere to get you started.

Cheers
Evan Harris