  • Subject: RE: Activation Group for Service Programs
  • From: "Sims, Ken" <KSIMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:55:14 -0500

Hi Jon -

>*ELIGIBLE is one of those 'features' that should only ever
>be used during development to simplify the programmers life.
>Never in production IMHO.  The results you saw are probably
>the result of the calling program being in the default AG and
>when you did the reclaim because the named AG had no active
>invocations it got blown away.  Why do the RCL?

I did the RCLACTGRP for the same reason I did RCLRSC, to test and see what
would happen.  I was expecting the activation group to be reclaimed since it
was not in use.  I was not expecting the job to blow up when the service
program was used again.

>I can only repeat what I said before - you're asking for trouble.
>As to RCLRSC - well RCLACTGRP is really just the ILE version.
>You wouldn't have had a problem if you hadn't done RCLACTGRP which
>there was no need to do in the first place.  Just leave there all day.
>If you absolutely have to clean it up it you simply have to ensure
>that any programs in the default that are hooked to it are also
>cleaned up.

1. I don't expect to use RCLACTGRP in production use, but I want to know
what will happen if a RCLRSC or RCLACTGRP is used and I want to be handle
the situation gracefully.

2. The only way of preventing the blowup seems to be to sign off and sign
back on.  The client program had ended with LR on.  Doing RCLRSC in between
calls also did not keep the blowup from happening.

3. You keep talking about all this trouble from having service programs
running in the default activation group.  Other than files being closed by
RCLRSC, what exactly *is* this trouble?  Unless it's worse that jobs blowing
up after RCLACTGRP and CALLs blowing up after a halt, I'm sticking with
*CALLER and letting the activation groups fall where they may.

Ken
Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.