  • Subject: RE: OO in RPG
  • From: Peter Connell <peterc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:00:21 +1300

Nelson,
Well done that man.
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Smith, Nelson [mailto:NSmith@lincare.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 3:38 AM
To: 'RPG400-L@midrange.com'

Jon,

In my trigger procedures I use _RSLVSP2 to get a system pointer to a given
service program.  Then, use that system pointer with QleActBndPgm to
activate the service program and get an Activation Mark back (whatever that
is....) and then finally, use the activation mark with QleGetExp to get a
procedure pointer to the actual procedure name. Once the procedure pointer
has been obtained, it can be used in a normal CALLP operation.

This was worked out several years ago with a lot of fine help from Barbara.
I don't understand all the internals, but it works like a champ and allows
me to have completely dynamic triggers controlled by entries in a Database
Control file containing the names of the service program and trigger
procedure I want to use for any given database file.  The database files
themselves all have a generic trigger program attached to them which does
nothing but call a master procedure which in turn checks the control file
for the names and then calls this procedure to obtain a pointer to the
actual trigger procedure to be used for that specific file/library
combination.  This allows tremendous flexibility.  For example, different
trigger procedures can be used on the same file when it is in different
libraries (such as QA vs. Production) and once established, the triggers
never have to be added or removed from the base file.  All changes can be
implemented by changes to the control file or the procedures themselves.

For anyone who wishes to try it (including the gentleman), the procedure
code follows and again, kudos to Barbara Morris for all of her fine help
with the details.  I apologize for the spacing, my cut and paste is not the
best.

 P**************************************************************************

 P RtvProcPtr      B                   EXPORT

 P**************************************************************************

 P*                 P R O C E D U R E
 P*
 P*  Name.......... RtvProcPtr

 P*
 P*  Purpose....... To retrieve the address of a procedure exported from
 P*                      a service program.

 P*
 P*  Requires...... The name of the service program, the name of the
 P*                      procedure, and optionally, a procedure pointer for

 P*                      the return value.

 P*
 P*  Returns....... A pointer to the procedure as both a return value and
 P*                     the optional third parameter (so CALLP may be used).

 P*
 P*  Service Pgm... Procs_Ptrs
 P*
 P*  Binding Dir... LinBndDir
 P*

 P*  Keywords...... Pointer Export Procedure
 P*
 P*  Sample use.... EVAL  pProc  = RtvProcPtr(ServicePgm:'Proc_Name')

 P*                                                  or
 P*                        CALLP RtvProcPtr(ServicePgm:'Proc_Name':pProc)

 P*
 P**************************************************************************

D*===================================================================
D* Procedure Initialization:
D*==================================================================== D
RtvProcPtr      PI              *   PROCPTR
D  Procedure                    30A   CONST

D  SrvPgmName                   10A   CONST

D  ReturnPtr                      *   PROCPTR OPTIONS(*NOPASS)

D*===================================================================

D*====================================================================
D* Data Structure to set object data:

D*====================================================================
D ObjectDS        DS

D  ObjectType                    2A   INZ(X'0203')

D  ObjectName                   30A

D  ObjReqAuth                    2A   INZ(X'0000')

D*====================================================================

D*====================================================================
D* Standalone fields:

D*==================================================================== D
SystemPtr       S               *   PROCPTR
D ProcedurePtr    S               *   PROCPTR

D ActivationMark  S             10I 0 INZ( 0                              )

D ProcName        S             30A   INZ( *BLANKS                        )

D ProcNameLen     S             10I 0 INZ( 0                              )

D*====================================================================

C**************************************************************************

C*                       M A I N L I N E
C**************************************************************************

 * Get system pointer to the service program:

C                   EVAL      ObjectName    = SrvPgmName

C                   CALLB     '_RSLVSP2'

C                   PARM                    SystemPtr

C                   PARM                    ObjectDS

 * Then, activate the service program & get an activation mark back:

C                   CALLB     'QleActBndPgm'
C                   PARM                    SystemPtr
C                   PARM                    ActivationMark
C                   PARM                    *OMIT
C                   PARM                    *OMIT
C                   PARM                    *OMIT

 * Then, get a pointer to the procedure:
C                   EVAL      ProcName      = Procedure
C     ' '           CHECKR    ProcName      ProcNameLen

C                   CALLB     'QleGetExp'
C                   PARM                    ActivationMark
C                   PARM                    *OMIT
C                   PARM                    ProcNameLen
C                   PARM                    ProcName
C                   PARM                    ProcedurePtr
C                   PARM                    *OMIT
C                   PARM                    *OMIT

 * Load up the return pointer if it was included in the parameters:

C                   IF        %PARMS        = 3

C                   EVAL      ReturnPtr     = ProcedurePtr

C                   ENDIF

C                   RETURN    ProcedurePtr

C**************************************************************************

C*                E N D   O F   M A I N L I N E                           *

C**************************************************************************

P RtvProcPtr      E

P**************************************************************************

        Jon, to persue your idea of a program that loads an array of
procedure pointers, do you know of a way to obtain a list of pointers to all
of the service program's exports at once, rather than just the named ones as
in the procedure shown above or would I have to first create a list of the
exported procedure names and get the pointers one-by-one?  Also, how would
you know what parameters are required with different procedure pointers in
the array when you go to use them?  In the case of my triggers above, they
all have the same parameter requirements, so it is not a problem.

This message originates from Lincare Holdings Inc. It contains information
which maybe confidential or privileged and is intended only for the
individual or entity named above.
It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the
contents of this message.
All personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to
be attributed to Lincare Holdings Inc., and may not be copied or distributed
without this disclaimer.
If you received this message in error, please notify us immediately at
MailAdmin@lincare.com or (800) 284-2006.

This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged.
If it is not addressed to you, you are on notice of its status.
Please immediately contact us at our cost and destroy it.
Please do not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain any of it
without our authority - to do so could be a breach of confidence.
Thank you for your co-operation.
Please contact us on (09) 356 5800 if you need assistance.