  • Subject: Re: Y2.1K Compliance
  • From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:00:38 -0800

I pressed F1 on the CVTDAT command, then F2 for extended help and saw
this additional information:

 Only valid dates can be converted.  If either the from-format or the
 to-format use only 2 digits to specify the year (for example, *MDY,
 *DMY, *YMD, or *JUL), valid dates are in the range of January 1,
 1940, to December 31, 2039.  Otherwise, valid dates are in the range
 of August 24, 1928, to May 9, 2071.  If the year is specified with
 only 2 digits, years in the range of 40 to 99 are assumed to be 1940
 to 1999; years in the range 00 to 39 are assumed to be 2000 to 2039.
 The command works in conjunction with the QLEAPADJ system value.

I do not know where the, seemingly artificial, date restriction of
August 24, 1928 (19280824), to May 9, 2071 (20710509) comes from.
Perhaps this has something to do with the way the CVTDAT command
works internally?  Hmm.. perphaps it saves the date in the interm
as number of days since 19280824 in an interger variable during
conversion.  They probably picked that date from somethign having to
do with leap years or some such other magic.  Which would put the
date of 20710905 at the limit of the number of days they can store
in whatever size interger they are using.

Understand, this is all just guesswork.  You can do all this without
having to use CVTDAT by just using native OS400 date variables in
the first place.

Regards,

Jim Langston