  • Subject: Re: Y2.1K Compliance
  • From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:01:36 -0800

Hi Jim,

I think I misspoke on my previous email. As you say, windowing is only with
6-digit dates; I was thinking of what would happen if IBM changed what the
"c" in cyymmdd represents. As I understand it, it currently depends on the
setting of the QCENTURY system value, where 0 = 1928-1999 and 1 = 2000-2053.
If they decided that 0 = 1929-1999, then anyone storing dates in cyymmdd
format might have a problem. However, I don't see that as a likely scenario.

No, I use native dates when possible, or whatever the customer/vendor
software I happen to be working with is using. Still, the cyymmdd date is
what IBM uses to pass from a command to the command processing program when
a parameter is defined as a *DATE parameter. I use CVTDAT to convert such a
date to an 8-digit date, so it's up to IBM to be consistent in how they
convert dates with CVTDAT.

Regards,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.