So, when you pass a pointer by reference you are passing a pointer to a
pointer to the data structure. :)

Patrick Conner
www.ConnecTown.com
(828) 244-0822

                    Joel Fritz

                    <JFritz@sharperim        To:     "'RPG400-L@midrange.com'"

                    age.com>                 <RPG400-L@midrange.com>

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    owner-rpg400-l@mi        Subject:     RE: Passing pointers
as parms
                    drange.com

                    11/28/00 04:03 PM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

I realize you're passing by reference on dynamic calls and have no choice
in
the matter.  All I was trying to point out was that by doing a couple of
things in the D specs you could write simpler _looking_ code. i.e. avoid
hooking the data structure to the parameter in the C specs.

The thing that is perplexing to me is that it worked.  I tend to think of
this in terms of what I learned about C where parameter passing is by value
by default.  In C when you pass a pointer the function that receives it
operates on the value contained in the memory location by use of the
dereferencing operator.  If you're passing a pointer by reference, you're
passing a reference to a pointer (the address of the memory space that
contains the address of the memory space that contains the address of the
data) and it appears there's some dereferencing by magic going on.  It
seems
like the data structure based on the pointer passed by reference shouldn't
have a direct link to the data structure in the calling program.  Although,
come to think of it, if you pass a pointer to a sub procedure that's
defined
within a program it acts like it was passed by value too.

I think I'm out of my depth here.  Maybe I'll try to learn alternating
arrays instead. <g>

david@midrange.com