  • Subject: Re: Is this the Free-Format that we asked for?
  • From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:53:03 -0800

John,

You consider having to put a semi colon at the end of every line a limitation?
I can understand not having a GOTO in a free format expression being a
limitation,
but not having to put a semi colon at the end of every line.

Now, only being able to use 6 character variable names in RPG II was a
limitation.

Basically, what we are going to have in RPG V is a cross between RPG and C
format.

You will be able to, in the same program, have RPG II style commands along side
the
new C style commands.

C    MyVar   COMP    0              99

C/freeform
           If *IN99;
               Message = 'MyVar is Zero!';
               SendMessage(Message);
           EndIf
C/EndFree

C          GOTO      EndTag

Heck, where is the limitations in that???  I just used old style RPG, new style
free format RPG and even a GOTO statement in the same program and it would
compile
and run!  Sounds pretty limitless to me!

I am actually fairly amazed that the RPG team is able to shove so much into one
compiler.

Regards,

Jim Langston