  • Subject: Re: Call Query
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:09:30 -0500

I'll admit it, I'm having a 'day'.

No I understand OPNQRYF and I've used it.  Prefer SQL a lot more.  Let's
see... OPNQRYF took a couple of manuals to get right, one of them Database
programming.  Not to say that SQL doesn't take awhile to grasp also.

Doesn't everyone believe that their code is extremely usable and reliable?
Has it not been said that RPG is self documenting?  (I've heard people
quote that from a sales presentation.)  I applaud you for your formatting.
I try to do that with my CL and stuff also.  However, do you document the
following:
/*  Placing the OVRDBF in here to share the open data path with the
OPNQRYF.  */
/*  Don't try to understand - just know this has to be done */
/*  Don't forget to create a work file that has the format you desire */
/*  if you use more than one file in OPNQRYF. */
/*  Make sure you get the files in the right order and this is why ... */
/*  ... go on about matching the format name and so on... */
So yes, I've some experience with OPNQRYF.  It's just that SQL makes so
much more sense.  I just think that the junior programmer would pickup and
run with the SQL solution better.

And how often do I hear on these lists about people trying to explain how
to substring numerics into OPNQRYF?

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    D.BALE@handleman.

                    com                      To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    owner-rpg400-l@mi        Subject:     Re: Call Query

                    drange.com

                    10/23/00 03:06 PM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

Rob,

So, I'd guess you don't care much for OPNQRYF? <g>  What's "All the more
reason to avoid OPNQRYF"?  That this is a report request?  Or that QMQRY
s*cks?  ?????

Never quite learned OPNQRYF?  Too bad.  Sounds like you've been burned
pretty
bad by it.  Just like any other tool, once you know how to use it, it's a
great thing to have in your toolbox.  It took me about three weeks to learn
use about 80% of it's capabilities.

I have used SQL; it's a great tool.  You love it.  You never touch OPNQRYF.
Fine.  If you've already got SQL, or can make a business case for buying
it,
great.  Use the right tool for the job.

But the same can be said for OPNQRYF.  Personally speaking, my OPNQRYF code
is
extrememly readable and versatile; I always format the source code so that
QRYSLT tests line up, as well as other parameters'.  I do not hesitate to
say
that my OPNQRYF code is very maintainable.

If I can make a business case for buying SQL, I'm sure my company would
spring
for it.  Otherwise, your other comments ring hollow with sarcasm.

Why use a diamond-studded gold hammer to drive nails when a standard steel
one
will do?  (Unless you're the military. <g>)

<twitch, twitch, as I hesitate to fire this off, triggering another
religious
war - YOU started it, Rob! <g> >

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400