  • Subject: Re: PEX on RPGLE - Question
  • From: bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:14:03 -0400

>Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:27:13 -0600
>From: Prabhu.Chella@smed.com
>
>I had to run PEX *PROFILE on an ILE RPG program to see what statements in
>the program are sucking up the CPU.
>
>In the PEX *PROFILE report I noticed a lot of CPU being consumed by
>statement Zero and the Last statement # in the program.
>Do you folks know what this means???? Mind you this is an ILE program
>compiled with ACTGRP *NEW.

Statement 0 and the last statement in the program reflect the "RPG cycle".
If you don't have a cycle file (IP or UP), the time is probably being taken
in initialization of your program variables.  For a *NEW program, you will
be running through the full initialization code every time the program is
called.

Activation group creation and destruction will indeed also take some time,
but in the PEX profile it would be listed against something other than the
RPG program.  The suggested solution of using an activation group other
than *NEW is a good one - it will alleviate the extra activation group
create/destroy and also _may_ reduce the time spent in initialization,
depending on how you end your program with regards to *INLR.

If you are using *NEW to get recursion, consider using recursive
subprocedures instead.

Barbara Morris