  • Subject: Re: duplicate record Id's in multi user environment
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:53:50 -0500

And your trigger program can have a time delay on the receive from data
queue.  If it times out then it can run the batch process to fill it again.

Why wait until 999999999?  If you use hex shouldn't it go from 000000009 to
00000000A, and so forth?  Or you could roll your own hex, and use all
letters instead of stopping at F.  Regular hex may be easier because of
existing hex math.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    Jim Langston

                    <jimlangston@conexfr        To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com

                    eight.com>                  cc:

                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Re: duplicate
record Id's in multi user environment
                    owner-rpg400-l@midra

                    nge.com

                    10/16/00 10:51 AM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

Hmm... This sounds like an idea...  If the batch job keeps the data queue
filled with, say, at least 1000 entries, it shouldn't be a problem.  It
would be possible for a program to grab an entry and not use it (the job
bombs out, user turns off tube, etc...) but this shouldn't be a problem
as we are not really looking for sequential numbers, just unique ones.

Of course, the key field in the data files should be declared as character
fields and not numeric (no math is ever going to be performed on them)
which
gives us a lot of advantage.  One of the biggest ones being that once you
hit
999999999 you can start over at, say, A000000001.

And even at this, a trigger program can be used to pull the number from the
data queue, so you only have one place to modify the changes.

Regards,

Jim Langston

david@midrange.com