  • Subject: RE: duplicate record Id's in multi user environment
  • From: "Richard Jackson" <richardjackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 09:15:08 -0600

Ladies and gentlemen:

Please beware of this technique in a very high-volume situation - it will
work most of the time but it is a problem in high volume.

The physical IO created by writing out the data area cannot exceed the
ability of a single disk drive minus the other activity on that drive.  I
will post the arithmetic if you want to see it.  If the drive where the data
area is stored is dedicated to the data area (nothing else on it) and the
drive is RAID protected then the best that you can do is one read + latency
+ one write + latency.  On a model 6607 4 GB drive, you can assign about 100
values per second under those circumstances.  If the drive was dedicated and
either mirrored or unprotected, you could assign about 225 values per
second.  If the drive isn't dedicated and there is other traffic on it, the
rate could drop as low as 50 to 70 values per second.

This concern does not matter in most cases but if you need a very large
number of "unique numbers" during a short period of time, you need to use a
technique that does not require writing the value to disk or a technique
that can be multi-threaded.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com