  • Subject: Re: System 36 Code
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:15:24 -0700

Frank,

IHMO, this is one of those 'it depends" kind of answers.  A lot depends on how
clean the S/36 code is to begin with.

We went through this exercise and for interactive jobs, it was a whole lot
easier
to write from scratch.

For batch listings, since nothing prohibits you from using internally defined
files, sometimes just changing the member type, get rid of the stuff in the H
spec, some minor changes to the F spec and you're in business.  Pick a simple
program and change the type and compile and you will see what the compiler
doesn't like.

BTW, I just did one this morning for a client running V3R2 and has some S/36
reports still running on their system.  They asked for a simple change to the
report so I always take the opportunity to take the code to at least RPG400.
The
only real gottcha was where some EXCPT names were the same as a field name, but
that was easy to correct.  They have pretty clean code to begin with.

If your shop standards required all I/O to be defined with a /COPY member, (to
guarantee field name consistency in all programs) you can create the external
DDS, remove your /COPY members, a little more changes to the F specs and you
might be good to go.  Again, it all depends on the quality of the original code.
If you do have /COPY members in the form of /COPY library,member  the RPG400
compiler will read this as /COPY filename,member.  So you will have to copy your
members or do a scan/replace so they are /COPY libarary/QS36SRC,member.

The real work is replacing your OCL with CL.  That definitely has to be done
from
scratch, and while you're at it, rethink the problem you are trying to solve and
rethink your solution.  It's not worth trying to merely mimic OCL with CL
equivalents.

In the little job I did today, I just left the OCL in place and replaced the
LOAD
with a CALL and removed the FILE statements.

HTH