  • Subject: Re: System 36 internal display file
  • From: "M. Lazarus" <mlazarus@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 16:09:54 -0400

Peter,

At 10/8/00 11:10 AM -0700, you wrote:
>Like I said, it's been a long time. I did mention making the ID field a
>hidden field. What were they, S & D specs? But I also noticed that the input
>specs were NOT correct, other than the 1st one. I didn't bump up the from/to
>positions on the other fields. And to be able to easily identify which
>format was read, the record ID indicator should be different or there should
>be a record ID field. Should be:

  I wasn't concerned about the actual layout in the input specs (although I
did notice the 2nd format starting the data in position one, where the ID
s/b), since I usually just generate the layout w/ SDA and include it in the
program, whenever I do a /36 screen program.

>0117.00      IDE123SF NS  01   1 C4  <------------------------
>0118.00      I* Format-DE123S04
>0118.50      I                                        1   1 RECID (optional)
>0119.00      I                                        2   5 CBATNO
>0120.00      I                                        6  11 CBDATE
>0121.00       *
>0122.00      IDE123SF NS  02   1 C6  <------------------------
>0123.00      I* Format-DE123S06
>0123.50      I                                        1   1 RECID (optional)
>0124.00      I                                        2   2 MCODE
>0125.00      I                                        3  12 CZPN
>0126.00      I                                       13  22 CZCOMP
>
>I'm not sure what you mean when you say "there's no need to define MCODE
>anywhere." MCODE is the field Kathie was interested in, and must be defined
>in the input specs.

  Sorry, I thought that MCODE was the screen ID code.

>As you say, the record ID field does not need to be output, but it makes it
>clearer (to me at least) which output specs are related to which input specs
>and I doubt that it has any performance impact. The screen field can be
>hidden and protected, or displayable protected in case it helps in debugging.

  For input, maybe.  But why for output?  Since it's a hidden / protected
field, and its only use is for the *program* to ID which format was read,
making this field an output field is a waste and can be confusing (since it
never shows up on the screen).  Actually, thinking about it, since it's a
constant in the S & D specs, you CAN'T output it via your program.  There's
no buffer position defined.

  -mark