  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Prototyping printf()
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 11:33:27 -0600

Eric,

Why can't you do this?  As long as you ensure that your structures are always
aligned on a boundary this works fine.  I don't understand exactly what you are
trying to accomplish, but in our applications the data and procedures that
support
them are all dynamically referenced by pointers.  Those pointers are stored in
user
spaces.  The underlying process that loads them knows into the user space know
when a data element contains a pointer and makes sure it is aligned.  The only
assumption is that a user space will be aligned.

David Morris

>>> doulos1@home.com 10/05/00 06:36PM >>>
Hello Ken,

> I tried what I suggested above and I am extremely surprised.  The pointer
> remained valid being copied via the overlaying character fields.

Well Ken I am glad that I am not loosing what little mind I have left
:-)

The main reason I went through this exercise was to try to simulate
some semblance of object orientation by having externally defined data
Structures for the object and then creating instances of them in
memory with pointers to other objects contained within... I have some
of this working :-) But after Barbara's warning that this is not
supported behavior I will have to figure something else out :-(

It would be nice to be able to define a pointer data type externally
:-)

Eric