You must start host servers in order to make sure that the ODBC server is
started.  STRHOSTSRV *ALL works.

You can verify that ODBC is working by using Excel or Access.  You must
start the ODBC administrator applet on your PC (ODBCAD32) and add a data
source.  The only tricky thing that I can think of is the naming must be set
correctly depending on the application - Excel and Access will want SQL
naming and other stuff will want system naming.  Start with SQL naming.  Set
the data source to translate or you might see gibberish - depending on how
you define gibberish.

After the data source is created, go into Excel.  Click on data, get
external data, create a new query.  Then scroll through the database list to
see your ODBC data source name.  I try to name a data source the same as the
library that it points to - makes it easier for me to find.  If you see the
data source, that is good.  After selecting the data source, you see tables
in the database - you are done.  It works.

Access is similar except I think that there is a special open on the file
menu.  Someone else will fill that in.

Both of these are just to verify that it is working.  If you already know
how to do that, make sure that host servers are started and it will work.

Question for the guru's, does client Access file transfer use ODBC?  I never
looked.    If it did, that would make a nice test to see if ODBC is working.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com
Voice: 1 (303) 808-8058