  • Subject: Re: System 3 Code
  • From: Mel Rothman <melrothman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:53:01 -0500

Richard, here are a few more things to add to your list of "what happens when
people have 'lots of experience.'"

Although you didn't say that RPG one never ran on System/3 (System/3 was
announced with and faded out with RPG II), I wanted to make sure that no one
thinks your were implying so.

I never had any experience with the console problems you mentioned.  Lucky me!

The "pizza platter's" capacity (5440 cartridge) was 2.45 MB, not 10 MB.  If one
had two full drawers of disk, F1, R1, F2, and R2, one had 9.8 MB of online
capacity.

The early System/3s disks were installed in one or two drawers, drawer 1 and
drawer 2.  Drawer 1 was required.  Drawer two was optional.  A drawer's maximum
capacity was evenly split between a fixed (non removable) platter and a
removable platter mounted in a 5440 cartridge.  I believe the fixed platter in
drawer 2 was optional.  The fixed platters were called F1 and F2 (fixed platter
in drawer 1 and drawer 2, respectively); the removable platters were called R1
and R2 (removable platter in drawer 1 and drawer 2, respectively).  Drawer 1
always had an F1 and a R1.  The possible configurations were 2.45 MB (half
capacity F1 and R1), 4.9 MB (full capacity F1 and R2), 7.35 MB (full capacity
F1, R1, R2), and 9.8 MB (full capacity F1, R1, F2, R2).

The fixed platters were backed up by copying (DISKCOPY utility) them on to
removable cartridges.  An inexperienced operator at one of my (not to be named)
customers, backed up the system one day by copying F1 to EVERY removable
cartridge.  It took them months to reconstruct their data from printed reports.
What a nightmare!

Before 3340s were available on S/3, some models supported 5445s, which used 2314
disk packs with approximately 20 MB capacity each.  I believe the maximum number
of 5445s was either 2 or 4.

The smallest System/3 memory size I saw was 8 KB on the card Model 10 and the
Model 6

I don't remember the "black crinkle paint."  I remember gray paint and panels in
red, yellow, blue, or white.

Models 10 and 12 were available with the dual programming feature (DPF), which
wasn't as sophisticated as the Model 15's partitioning.  I believe the maximum
total memory size for DPF systems was the same as DPF systems, 64 KB.

I remember MRTs (multiple requester program) well.  I avoided them whenever
possible.  I preferred SRTs (single requester program), which wrote to the
display and ended.  Code to start the next program using program request under
format (PRUF) was left on the display.  When the user pressed ENTER, the next
program would load and process the display's input.  The AS/400 KEEP and ASSUME
DDS keywords are PRUF's legacy.

I really liked 96 column cards.  They fit completely in my shirt pocket, leaving
my IBM white shirt still looking "elegant."  80 column cards were more than
twice the height of the pocket and hung out sloppily.  Since I worked in
Phoenix, Arizona, where it gets very hot, I didn't always have a suit jacket on
to cover the unsightly 80 column card.  So, I used 96 column cards exclusively!

I thought DITTO was a utility, not a programming language.  I thought RPG one
was modeled after unit record (wired boards) equipment.

The hot 1403 printer was the Model N1 (affectionately called Nankeen).  It was
an engineering marvel that printed 1100 lines a minute (still pretty fast, I'd
say).  Like any high performance machine, you had to check the oil or risk
having it burn out!  The 1403 printer family was used on System/360 and earlier
IBM systems such as 1401 before System/3 came along.

There is much about System/3 that I remember but have not mentioned.  There is
even more that I have forgotten!

Mel Rothman