  • Subject: Re: System 3 Code
  • From: Douglas Handy <dhandy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:32:49 -0400

Richard,

>See what happens when people have "a lot of experience"?  They forget stuff.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

>Somebody said that CICS ran on a 15D ... NEVER!  (read this next bit very
>fast, in a quiet voice ... Of course, CCP was created by tearing big chunks
>out of the CICS source code and porting it to an 8-bit machine

My only work on a 15D was modifying some batch programs over 20 years
ago.  Back then I spent most of my time on either the S/32 or S/34,
and was just sent to a few S/3 shops.  I mismembered the people at the
15D shop I was sent to to have said the interactive stuff was CICS,
but maybe they said it was "like CICS".  I didn't know CICS either.
(But I have coded lots of S/34 MRT's and used RUF -- does that count
for anything?)

The main thing I remember about working on the 15D was at first being
baffled by compiles failing after making what I thought was a real
simple change to a program using the full-screen editor called SM
(Source Maintenance).

Unlike the 5250s I was used to, the 3270s did not translate nulls to
blanks when you pressed Enter.  I recall that SM used trailing nulls
to finish out source lines instead of trailing blanks, which of course
looked the same on the terminal.  If you just used the cursor keys to
add something beyond the current end of a line but did *not* space
your way to it, the nulls were stripped out and the newly keyed text
compressed to the left.  In RPG, the result was agonizing -- assuming
you noticed it -- until someone taught me to use the space bar instead
of the cursor keys.

I also remember being impressed that you could view the contents of
print spool files even as they were being generated.  (I think this
was third-party tool or a PRPQ.)  Only being used to the S/34 spooler,
I thought that was pretty neat.

Doug