  • Subject: RE: *BLANKS = spaces?
  • From: "Cobb, Laura" <LCobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:59:28 -0400

Sean,
I could be off on this but I believe that if you specify *NOTEXT on Format
of PC data on the CPYTOPCD cmd it will make the record length fixed using
the record length from the
Database file.  The *TEXT adds a line feed and carriage return and is
variable length if I recall correctly.
I just went through this myself a few months back. We were told to make sure
line feed and carriage return were at the end of each record.  So we put the
hex for them at the end of each record. When things didn't work we couldn't
figure out why.  The data looked okay.  Much to our chagrin, we realized
after a day and a half that these characters were already there via *TEXT on
the cmd.  We couldn't see the double line feed and carriage return on the
first two text editors we were using to look at the data.  No one bothered
to look at the help on the command. If we had we would have saved hours of
scratching our heads and looking at each other with the deer in the
headlights expression.

 L.A.C.