From: owner-rpg400-l@midrange.com [mailto:owner-rpg400-l@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Jo-Anne Giblin
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 3:02 PM
To: RPG400-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: data structure length problem

Sporter

RPG III has a field limit of 256, however RPGIV does not. If you are using
RPG III you need
to split the one 801 character field into several fields.  I would convert
it to RPGIV, recompile and you will be OK.

>>> sporter@bestdist.com 09/14/00 04:34PM >>>
Hi all, I'm new to the list and having a problem.  I've never had any
RPG training, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm trying to write a record to a file that is one 801 character field.
It is made up of various different bits of information, so I created a
data structure based on the record format.  I've been getting all kinds
of errors and finally reduced it to one level 10 severity error:

 * QRG4140 Severity:  10   Number:    1
           Message . . . . :   Data-Structure-Subfield length exceeds
256.
             Subfield length defaults to 256.

I tried compiling anyway (changing the severity on the CRTRPGPGM
command) to see what would happen, but it wrote blank records to my
file.  Is there a trick to making it work?  Would it work in RPG IV
instead of RPG III?

I've tried many, many different ways of creating the data structure, but
nothing has worked.   The online manual wasn't very helpful to me.

I'd be happy to provide code if that will help.  Thanks!

david@midrange.com

david@midrange.com