  • Subject: Re: page n of x
  • From: Gary Guthrie <GaryGuthrie@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:00:12 -0500

OK. Now I see what's going on.

There is a MUCH better way to get the number of pages than counting them
yourself.

You can retrieve the total number of pages using the spooled file APIs.

You can write a small procedure to GetTotalPages. You can look at some
of my code in the utility to base your procedure on.

Look in service program SplFAPI and find procedure RtvSplF. Notice the
section where I retrieve spooled file attributes. One of the attributes
that is retrieved in the structure is the total number of pages. It is
at position 149. Look just below where I retrieve the spooled file
attributes at the section that extracts the number of buffers and buffer
size from the attributes retrieved. Do the same thing for the total
number of pages (it is also a binary 4 field).

Do this at the beginning of your program and then use the kind of loop I
described in the pseudo-code I posted earlier.

Gary Guthrie
REAL Solutions Technical Support
NEWS/400 Technical Editor