     with comments to selected statements posted by Richard Jackson:

     <snip>This particular set of "wings and engine" broke later and I
     wasn't around to fix it.<snip>
     Yes, and before the 747 there was that thing with the Hindenburg.  The
     point is that an effort was made and lessons were learned.  And, no, I
     am not equating the failure of a command to the loss of life caused by
     the Hindenburg. Planes still crash, and so do 400s, but we keep
     pressing on, always improving, never letting the 'impossible' stop us
     from trying.

     <snip>
     I am not certain what you mean by, "which is a communication
     COMMAND".<snip>
     my fingers got behind the speed of my thought - i did not mean a
     communication command in the sense of TCP/IP or SNADS.  i meant a
     method that allows communication between CL and the DB.  communication
     was a poor choice of words in this forum & context, but one that i
     typically invoke when trying to explain something to users in a way
     that they understand.

     <snip>Is it possible to make the existing RCVF command update a
     file?<snip>
     i wasn't talking about making the existing RCVF do anything, but now
     that you mention it...

     <snip>There is also a SNDF CL command and a SNDRCVF CL command. As far
     as I know, they only work for display files. I suppose that they could
     be overridden but I don't recall ever trying it.<snip>
     Yep, I know, but since we were talking about db files and I don't
     think they can be OVR to apply to a db, I didn't mention them.

     <snip>Or, are you thinking that since it is a COMMAND, it is somehow
     easy to rewrite or modify?<snip>
     No, i wasn't talking about modifying ANY IBM command, nor would I
     suggest such a thing be done in a local shop, nor would I support
     someone doing such a thing outside of IBM labs.

     I don't understand how you can take text that compares two things, the
     RCVF command and any of mr. clifford's db i/o commands, and come to
     the conclusion that I was talking about, or even hinting at, a local
     programmer modifying an existing IBM command.  It's not good
     programming. It was a simple comparison that although IBM's RCVF
     command is much more complex than the READ db i/o cmd from mr.
     clifford, that they were used in the same manner in a CLP and that,
     functionally, they both were basically front ends to other processes
     (programs, procedures, buffer crunching, whatever) that performed the
     DB related actions.

     <snip>I don't understand this sentence, "clifford's db i/o utlities
     are not invoked by a CALL to a program - they are simple commands like
     READ, UPDATE, WRITE - used the same as RCVF with parameters, arguments
     & keyflds, etc."<snip>

     then let me illustrate. imagine a CL where READREC is an RPG that
     reads a file and returns the record to the CL. Read is one of mr.
     clifford's db i/o cmds:

     CALL READREC parm(&HistFil &HistRec)
     READ       HANDLE(&HistoryHdl)
                DATALEN(100)
                RTNDATA(&HistoryRcd)
                RTNDATALEN(&HistoryLen)
                OPTION(*KEY)
                KEY(&ISOChkDate)
                KEYLEN(10)
     RCVF

     can you see what i mean now? sometimes it is easier to use a specific
     rather than try to explain. the CALL command is explicitly coded into
     the CL, thus invoking the  specified program, whereas the other
     commands that, of course, executes a program, but the CALL itself is
     not visible in this CL.  with your excellent explanation of the RCVF,
     you made my point exactly - which was that RCVF does indeed call
     programs just as the READ db i/o does.  that was my whole point.  had
     i known the intricate detail that you did, i would have been able to
     make that more clear. in no way to i imply that RCVF was simple. (and,
     of course, the CALL command does its own invocation of pgms,
     what-have-you, to enable the program READREC to be executed.)

     <snip>The answer that "it is impossible to update a file in a CL
     program" overstates the facts. <snip>
     yes - again, my point exactly.

     <snip>But you were complaining that we didn't demonstrate our
     creativity.<snip>
     Noooo, I was stating that an answer of 'it is impossible to update a
     file in a CL program' demonstrates a lack of creativity, although it
     is correct in the textbook sense that IBM did not provide a direct and
     supportable method to update a file in a CL.  The rest of your
     paragraph
     <snip>It is impossible to update a file inside a CL program, if (1)
     you limit yourself to the CL commands that IBM ships, )2) you don't
     call a program to perform the update or cause a message to be sent to
     another program or job that performs the update, or (3) you ignore
     command operations that normally update database files like the some
     of the DST commands.  <snip>
     demonstrates creativity - your conditions show ways to MAKE it
     possible.

     <snip>I know how to do some very cool things but that doesn't make it
     a good idea.<snip>
     Yeah, I know.  My well known, oft invoked and much abused motto in our
     PA meetings is 'just because you can doesn't mean you should.'

     My lack of effective communication (that is, written words, not SNADS
     <bg>) has obscured the fact that I have exactly the same idea as you.

     Maybe I should have just stated something like 'yeah, well, RCVF calls
     programs, too.'

     At any rate, you have provided me with some interesting things to
     research just for the sake of knowledge. I wasn't trolling, but, nice
     bite.

     thanks for the lesson
     jw

     i just noticed - why the heck was this asked in the RPG400 forum
     anyway?  had i seen that earlier, i wouldn't have replied in this
     forum. sorry.