  • Subject: RE: Viewing the contents of a multi format logical
  • From: "Richard Jackson" <richardjackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:24:21 -0600

Paul:

re: your semantic point

I was going to say that the result set is indistinguishable from a left
outer join but that isn't true, is it?  We don't have single records with
all the header and detail fields, we get a header record then detail
records.  If there are headers without matching details, we see those.  If
there are details without matching headers, we will see those as well.  Just
because we have a detail record, that is no guarantee that the values in the
header fields are for a matching header record, we must check.

Thank you for pointing that out.  The difference is subtle until one thinks
about it.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com