  • Subject: Re: Creating a service program
  • From: "Mike Silvers" <msilvers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:21:58 -0400

You must specify the current signature and the old signature in the binder
language.  The binder language is saved in a source file and is of the type
MOD.  When the service program is compiled, you must then specify the
location of the binder language.  The binder language would state the
following to include the old signature:

STRPGMEXP PGMLVL(*CURRENT)
EXPORT  SYMBOL(Proc1)
EXPORT  SYMBOL(Proc2)
EXPORT  SYMBOL(Proc3)
EXPORT  SYMBOL(Proc4)
ENDPGMEXP

STRPGMEXP  PGMLVL(*PRV)
EXPORT  SYMBOL(Proc1)
EXPORT  SYMBOL(Proc2)
EXPORT  SYMBOL(Proc3)
ENDPGMEXP

What this is saying is that the current signature includes all 4 procedures.
It saves an old signature with the first three procedures.  The older
programs will use the older signature with 3 procedures.  Any newer programs
that are compiled will use the new signature with 4 procedures.  Any program
using the older signature can not reference the new 4th procedure unless it
is compiled again and has a prototype defining the new procedure.  If a
program is compiled again, it will always use the current signature, not any
of the old signatures.

Mike