  • Subject: RE: Creating a service program
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:18:11 -0500

Let's see here... :)

What about issuing service packs to fix problems?  What if the problem is
with the service program?  What if you add a couple new procedures?  Why
send out all three programs and the service program when all you need to
send out is the service program?

It only takes compile time?  It also takes bandwidth for all the other
objects (programs/service programs/modules) that you need to send out
because of the change.  Instead you could use binder language and only send
out the service program.  That's the whole point behind signatures.  I don't
care what the scenario, it will change and it will always be easier to send
one object than 2 or 3 or 10.

--snip #1 because it's what I already said and INHO applies to all ILE
systems developement---

> Brad, if your advise is followed, the inside of the service program is
> controllable without forcing a recompile.  That is why it is
> a good idea -
> the service program becomes a "black box" and that is very good for
> maintenance.

I don't quite follow what you mean here.  As long as the io parms and the
signature stay the same, I shouldn't need to send out anything more than
just the service program.

Example, I have a subroutine that returns centered text.  It's in production
being used by many programs.  Now, I find out I did it wrong and need to
change the "guts" of it (no i/o parms, though).  I change it, recreate the
service program, and send that and only that out.  Simple... wonderful, and
easy.

And if I use signatures, then all I have to send out is the service program
and any programs that use the new subprocedures withing.

Again that's the point of ILE.  *ALL removes this.

Brad