  • Subject: RE: RPG to XML - XML - RPG +/-
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:56:45 -0500

Sockets aren't needed at all for this (well, you don't have to write them).

You can use the HTTP server for this, which is in itself, nothing more than
a sockets program.

To request a document, the person on the other end will make a request
similar to a web request for a CGI program.  Something like
http://www.youras400.com/xml/getordsts?cust=998&order=101212

Then, depending on the parms, your program will return the XML and they will
capture and parse it (in this case a feeble attempt at showing how an order
status document may be retrieved).  /xml/ directory being the /cgi-bin/
equivalent.

It's really how XML got started.  Just parsing HTML through web servers.
XML makes it easier and with the HTTP server you can communicate with XML to
a bunch of folks who don't care your on an AS/400, or even have to know.

Brad