  • Subject: Re: Techniques for variable field types in a subfile
  • From: "paul cunnane" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:19:05 +0100

Reading Mark's original message, he wants to be able to input as well as
display the different values.  Most of the replies are perfectly valid for
output only, but fail to address the input needs.

Buck suggested identifying the input type based on the first column -- I
would suggest a hidden field.  Also, validating for valid date or numeric
information is relatively easy with the TEST and TESTN opcodes.

Of course, testing for numeric data if the field contains currency
formatting is tricky.  This can be worked around by writing a small routine
to strip the currency symbols and commas, or if you want to get fancier, a
little finite state machine to validate the entered value.

--
Paul