  • Subject: Thanks for RPG instruction suggestions
  • From: "JoJo" <jojo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:02:41 -0500

Thanks so much to all who responded to my request for suggestions on what needs to taught in my RPG college course.  I know you are all very busy and it is terrific of you to take time from your schedules to give this some thought and respond to me.

Your answers were as varied as I'm sure your shops are, but very good information and some really great suggestions.

My students' backgrounds are equally as varied as your needs.  They range from mainframers crossing over to midranges, people with hands on AS400, to folks who can't spell "computer" yet.  And I will have this mix every semester in each class.  It is quite a challenge to try and bring the upstarts up to speed while keeping the old hands interested.  Most of my students are over 30.  The older my students are the harder they dig on their own.  The younger ones seem to expect to be spoon fed.  It's amazing to me that someone is willing to pay $65 - $75 for a book but does not want to open it, and I tell them so.  One of the first things I tell my students is that, as a programmer your job is to solve problems - if you can't solve the problems we present in this course you probably won't make it as a programmer.

Although my input is sought, I am not the decision maker nor the course designer.  I am through teaching for the summer, however, when classes resume in the fall, I plan to take your suggestions to the course designer.

Thanks again for your input.

By the way, I also teach CL.  Any thoughts along those lines?

Pam D