  • Subject: RE: RPG instruction
  • From: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:38:52 -0500

Show them the real world with their projects; for example:

Scribble some notes/screen/printer layout on a sheet of paper,
give them two weeks to do the project; two days into it, give them
another project that needs to be done in one day, when they turn it in,
tell them that the project was scraped, and there is no grade for it,
by the end of the week, ask to see how they are coming along;
and change your mind on the specifications so it looks nothing like what
you originally asked for.  When they submit their project at the end of
the two weeks, ask them where some "real" important piece is; even though
you did not ever tell anyone about it; give them another week to finish the
project - one day into it, give them another project that must also be done
by the end of the week; now for the grade, only accept the last project, scrap
the one that has been changed so much....

If they, and you, can get through that - then they are ready for the real world...

With regards; I concur with others; ILE, binding, object orientated concepts; modular programming (re-usable code)
and DOCUMENTATION(of which I am the most notorious for forgetting).

Wasting time on simple print programs is just that; interactive and server based(GUI) interfaces is the future.

Also let them get on the WEB to use the IBM manuals/more importantly the RED books.

Another great thing to help the students out, is something that is difficult to put into words; you either have it or you don't -
   but remember who you are talking to - be it the CEO or the guy on the line putting a peg in a hole, never talk down to them,
   listen to their issues, and assure them that you will do what you can to make their lives easier.

Being a programmer is no longer a profession where you are in a hole for 8-12 hours a day and see no light, no other human life forms,
you must not only be analytical, but a people person too...

HTH

Mark A. Manske
[mailto:mmanske@minter-weisman.com]
Sr. Project Lead