  • Subject: Re: Accessing a file in memory
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:33:23 -0700

Patrick,

I read some of the other responses and started thinking (bad thing on a Monday
;)), but if you have enough memory to place the files into memory, then why
aren't they staying in cache?  So I'm not sure if you have enough memory for
SETOBJACC to work for you.

AFAIK, user space is just space and may not reside in memory.  Remember, under
single level storage disk and memory are the same thing.

If you don't have enough memory for SETOBJACC to work for you, I'm not sure that
making the files into tables would help much either.  You may just be changing
-what- is being swapped.

BTW, you mentioned that another company with the same software did it.  What was
their improvement in through put and do you have a similar HW configuration?

As a last resort, does the software provider have any solutions?