  • Subject: Re: ILE Conversion
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:17:50 -0400

 >> Would it be advantageous to place each display format in it's own
display file or to continue to place all of the screens in one display file
and just maintain each format in it's own module.

I would tend to handle each format in its own subprocedure.  This would be
considerable simplified if the RPG folks would allow RPG to do an EXFMT the
way COBOL can do its READ/WRITE operations where the format name can be a
variable.  (Are you listening Hans and Barbara ?)  I would also supply
appropriate "add-to-subfile" and "clear Subfile" type functions.  These
would all be in one source which would also declare the display file itself
in its Global section.

 >> I read the chapter in the Redbook about it and it seems interesting
however it also seems like a lot of work to implement.

I guess it is but it is very much in the "pay me now or pay me later"
category.  Since you'll be doing a full functional decomposition anyway I
doubt that it would be much more work.  The intent is to improve
maintainability and simplify the testing part of development.  You finish
up with a mainline that "reads" much like a pseudocode definiton of the
program - much easier to maintain.

One company we came upon reduced their maintenance load by 50% by adopting
these kinds of approach.