  • Subject: Precompiler (was: Did the user press Enter or Field+)
  • From: Torbjörn Görtz <torbjorn.gortz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:48:15 +0200

Booth Martin wrote:
> May I ask why you do this?  What could your pre-compiler do that isn't
> already provided?  I am not questioning what you are doing at all, it is
> just that I don't understand what features this provides that aren't
> already provided.  For instance numeric editing is already well handled by
> DDS, and error strings with data values are simple with the EVAL Opcode.
> How would one implement the DIVI Opcode in RPGLE code?  Where is a place
> that one would use  MLINE?
>
> Please understand: I am being curious, not argumentative.

Well, this is my history:
Back in about 1985 I bought the precompiler RPG II½ for the S/36.
The precompiler worked well, but some small bugs I had to correct
by making a small addition to it.

When I later in about 1989 had to port a not so small application
to the AS/400, I had to make a choise.  The RPG II½ didn't work
in the AS/400.  Either I could rewrite the application to standard RPG400,
or I could make my own precompiler in AS/400.

I choosed to make my own precompiler.  I also could build an in my
opinion much better precompiler.  Many of the functions in RPG II½
already existed in RPG400, so it was not too much work.
The precompiler is used in many new built applications.
Two other persons have also worked with it.

The precompiler includes:
-  Field handling for files.
-  Display handling.
-  Automatic cursor positioning on field wich caused the error message.
-  Macro function:  one line make many lines included in many places
    in the code.
-  Many home made operands.
-  Compile list with inline errors on screen.

My code is shorter and more powerful, compared to
if I had to write code without the precompiler.
And I have a big base of code written in this way.

I think that many of these functions now can be done in different
and better ways in RPGLE.  However I could make it better
for my use if I also include some of my functions from my
precompiler.  I hope the free format for the calculation lines,
is coming soon.

Torbjörn Görtz
Sweden