     to send data to a data queue, use this API:
     QSNDDTAQ with 4 required parms of 1) the data queue name, 2) the data
     q library, 3) a 5 digit decimal variable (or constant) containing the
     number of characters to send to the dtaq (entry length) and 4) the
     variable (or constant) containing the actual data to send to the
     queue.  There are also two optional parms that support adding key
     information to the dtaq entry.  If you didn't create the dtaq as
     SEQ(*KEYED) you don't need these optional parms.

     to receive from a dtaq, use the following API:
QRCVDTAQ with 5 parms, where the 1st four are just like in the send API, except
that the API will return entries to the variables for parms 3 & 4.  The 5th parm
is a 5 digit decimal variable that controls how long to wait for an entry to
arrive on the dtaq.  If you specify a negative value, the API waits
indefinitely.  Value of 0 means don't wait at all.  There are additional parms
that can support key and sender id info.

for more info, an easy place to look is IBM's Control Language Programmers Guide
- I know you're looking for RPG, but what works in one generally applies to the
other.

remember that with dtaqs, once an entry is received from the dtaq, it is gone if
the program that processes that entry fails for whatever reason, the entry can't
be retrieved. also, dtaqs grow, but even as entries are deleted, they never
decrease in size; they always remain the size it was when it had the most
entries.  you can always schedule deletes and recreates of the dtaq as part of
maintenance.

HTH
jw