  • Subject: Re: NOTICE to IBM: You're all missing the point!
  • From: "L. S. Russell" <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 12:38:36 -0500

I have a firm grip and an accurate grasp. IBM has to see a need to
change their marketing and pricing strategy before they can be expected
to do so. Currently they don't see a need, Wintel is so popular that
folks come to IBM in search of those boxes. The demand for those systems
means that IBM can justify expending effort in marketing, developing and
innovating for them.

IBM will not invest those same resources in the AS/400 because the
potential return is low and the potential for return is even lower. Why
does IBM think that their return will be greater in the PC arena, a
better question would be why is their return greater because we all know
it is. Is it that those boxes are so much more stable that a business
can't survive without one? No. The reason can be boiled down to the fact
that there is more low cost software available for those platforms.

Now, if suddenly there were a comparable number of low cost apps (of all
kinds) available for the AS/400 then you would see an increase in the
demand for the box over a period of time. Point is, if we [AS/400
programmers] made as much noise as those fanatics on the other platforms
IBM's eyes would snap open. The low demand for the AS/400 contributes to
IBM's un-willingness to invest resources in marketing the AS/400 it is
as simple as that. It would be much more expensive for IBM to attract
new customers to a more expensive platform than for them to just watch
the market and see that everyone wants low investment solutions and hop
on for the ride. However, if there were someway we could increase the
demand for AS/400's to a tenth the fever pitch linux has achieved, the
sleeper would surely awaken.

Your nuts if you think IBM would hesitate to change its marketing of the
AS/400 if it saw potentially higher margins. IBM is not trying to cut
the AS/400 out of its plans as far as I can tell, but they must be
trying to minimize liability. If the AS/400 becomes a liability then you
can be sure it will be history.

So what are you gonna do, sit back and watch it happen or contribute in
whatever small way possible to help ensure that it doesn't happen? I
know which path I choose. For every one here that is satisfied with the
status quo there is at least one who is disgusted and there is no harm
in making the effort to bring about positive change.

--
L. S. Russell Programmer/Analyst
Datrek Professional Bags, Inc.