  • Subject: Re: CEEMOUNT API --> How do I use it???
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:49:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Brian Stapleton wrote:

> Greetings All;
>
> I want to use the CEEMOUT API from an RPGLE program, (Heard about it from an
> advertisement from the400group.  I went to the IBM Web Online Site looking for
> more info, but got way lost and overwhelmed.  (And a little irritated too)
> Couldn't find out the What, Why and Where of CEEMOUT  API.
>

> I don't know much about creating binding and CALLB or CALLP.  Are those
> necessary?

The CEExxxxx API's are in this book:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QBJAMM00/CCONTENTS

One of the nice things about the "CEE" API's is that they're automatically
bound to your program, you don't have to explicitly bind them on the
CRTPGM command.

You will have to use CALLB or CALLP, since they are bound -- but this
shouldn't be very difficult -- CALLB has the exact same syntax as CALL,

I'd strongly recommend that you start playing with / learning CALLP,
however, as prototypes are extremely powerful and useful.  :)

Since an RPG example might be hard to find, I'll give you this one:

D Msg             PR                  ExtProc('CEEMOUT') opdesc
D   String                      50A   const
D   dest                        10I 0 const
c                   callp     Msg('Nothing better to say than this?':1)
c                   eval      *inlr = *On

> So here's my question.  (I am pretty green on this stuff)  If I want to use an
> API in RPGLE, how do I do it?  Do I simply do a Call and pass the parms?  Is
> there a place on the Web that I can look up this API to see what parms that it
> is looking for and maybe an example in RPGLE on how it's used?

An API is nothing more than a program or service program that has been
written to perform a specific function.  You're doing nothing more than
calling it.

Unfortunately, this means every API is different, everything has a
different set of quirks.  If you look in the online books, and search
for titles containing "API", you'll find a bunch of books.   They'll
give you the specifics... the rest you'll want to learn from
experimentation and from help on this list :)

Good Luck!