  • Subject: Re: PDM/SEU
  • From: "L. S. Russell" <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:04:00 -0500

> If I hire a carpenter, I expect him to have a collection of power
> tools for the most common tasks.  I'd really question the efficiency
> of one who only used hand saws and 16oz hammers to frame a house.

Wrong word you might question his productivity but you can't question
his efficiency.
You can rough frame a house with a 16 oz hammer but we used to use 22 oz
Estwing straight claw framers hammers. You use a 16 oz softface hammer
for finishing fascia, dry wall and boxing cabinets.

What are you really buying when you buy a carpenter as it were. Are you
paying him to bring all his pretty air powered nail guns and multi-angle
box saws and pile them and a bunch of his best sawhorses in your front
yard? Or are you buying his knowledge of construction work, his skill,
and manpower?

No matter what tools he chooses to complete the job or, depending on the
contract, the speed with which it is completed you are actually paying
for his knowledge and skill.

The same can be said for a contract programmer/consultant. Regardless of
the tools he chooses it is his skill and knowledge you are paying for.

--
L. S. Russell Programmer/Analyst
Datrek Professional Bags, Inc.