  • Subject: RE: Windows As A Development Workstation (was PDM/SEU)
  • From: "John Taylor" <john.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 07:37:48 -0600

Paul,

With all due respect, I think it's unfair of you to compare Windows to
*real* operating systems like OS/400, VMS, AIX etc. My copy of W2K cost less
than $500, OS/400 cost us $50,000. I think it's reasonable to expect more
from the latter.

If you want to make a valid comparison, then compare it with DOS, OS/2, Mac,
and now Linux. I don't know about you, but I've used all four of them and
had them lock up to the point that a reboot was required.

In any event, I'm not interested in an OS debate. I use the best tool for
the job and avoid getting religious about it. My original point was that if
you are avoiding the move to a PC based editor simply because of the
unreliability of Windows, you don't have to let that stop you anymore.

Regards,

John Taylor
Canada