  • Subject: RE: odbc
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <DBale@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:58:33 -0400

A word of caution:  Excel can turn a field defined as alphanumeric on the
AS/400 to a numeric if the first few records it interrogates finds
left-justified numbers in the alpha field.  This won't happen with an
Access-ODBC load.

Also, I'm wondering why almost everyone responding is talking about using
Excel.  Richard made it clear that he needs to get the data into an Access
database.  ODBC will easily get it there.

The steps to setup an ODBC transfer in Access 97:

1) In Access, in the database window, activate the Tables tab.  Click on
New.
2) In the New Table window, click on Import Table, then click on OK.
3) In the Import window, click on the Files of Type: to drop down the list
of file types.  At the bottom of the list is ODBC databases; click on that.
4) The Import window disappears and the Select Data Source window appears.
Click on the Machine Data Source tab.  If an appropriate Data Source has
been defined, go to step 8.  If not, click on New and continue with step 5.
5) In the Create New Data Source window, I usually select System Data
Source.  (This is a matter of whether you want anyone else who logs onto
your PC to be able to use this link.)  Click on Next.
6) It's still called the Create New Data Source window, but now you have a
list of ODBC drivers to choose from.  Depending on your setup, select the
appropriate driver for the AS/400.  In our environment, we use RUMBA AS/400
Optimized Server (32bit).  Click on Next.
7) At this point, you're on your own, because the following screens are all
specific to the driver you're using.  If the RUMBA driver is any indication,
it should be fairly easy to finish from here on out.  You have to know your
AS/400 system name.  Also, you'll have to type in either a library list
(generally, just the library you want to get the data from) or a job
description name (that will supply the library list).  Keep this list as
short as possible because when you get to the point where you select the
file you want to import, it's going to list *every* file found in the
library list used.
8) Most likely, you'll get a Client AS/400 Sign-On window.  Fill in and
click on OK.
9) In the Import Objects window, you'll see a list of all the available
tables (files).  Select the desired file and click OK.  At this point, the
data starts getting imported into Access.

HTH,
- Dan Bale