  • Subject: RE: What is the difference in RPGIII and RPG/400
  • From: "Ken @ MSN" <power_programmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:43:54 -0500

Hi,

RPGII - is the old "SYSTEM-36" RPG. The original RPGII did not allow the
following:
"CALL", you could not call another RPG program
RPGII does not allow for *COMPLETE* structure code. It allows IF/ELSE/END.
This does *NOT* include "AND" & "OR" statements as follows:
And the RPG programs had to be "LOADED" and called out of a procedure called
"OCL"...

SUMMARY OF RPGII Structure Programming Operation-Codes (OP-CODES):
The RPGII structured programming operation codes are:
° IFxx (If/Then)
° ELSE (Else Do)
° END (End)
° DO (Do)
° DOWxx (Do While)
° DOUxx (Do Until)
° CASxx (Case).

where xx can be:
GT Factor 1 is greater than factor 2.
LT Factor 1 is less than factor 2.
EQ Factor 1 is equal to factor 2.
NE Factor 1 is not equal to factor 2.
GE Factor 1 is greater than or equal to factor 2.
LE Factor 1 is less than or equal to factor 2.
Blanks Factor 1 is not compared to factor 2 (unconditional running).
This is valid for CASxx operation only.

RPG III & RPG/400 are *basically* the same, with some *minor*
differences....
While RPGIII & RPG/400 allow all above, plus some more structure programming
Operations-Codes as follows:
   °   "ANDxx (And
   °   "ENDyy (End a Group)"
         (Allow better documentation with ENDIF, ENDDO, ENDSL...)
   °   "ITER (Iterate)"
   °   "LEAVE (Leave a Do Group)"
   °   "ORxx (Or)
   °   "OTHER (Otherwise Select)"
   °   "SELEC (Begin a Select Group)"
   °   "WHxx (When True Then Select)"

Then the latest version RPGIV or ILE RPG is great! It allows you to do built
in functions! And many other things. Including sub procedures with local
variables.

Both RPGII & RPGIII limit you to 6-character field names! While RPG IV (ILE
RPG) allows you to use up to 15-characters!

Here is an EXAMPLE of RPGIII code:
CL0N01N02N03Factor1+++OpcdeFactor2+++Result
C           CUSTYP    IFEQ 'V'
C           CRDLMT    ANDGT2000
C                     EXSR CRDCHK
C                     ENDIF

And Here is an Example of RPGIV using Longer field names & easier "readable"
code:
CL0N01Factor1+++++++Opcode&ExtExtended-factor2++++++++
C                   if            CUST_TYPE = 'V'
C                             and CREDIT_LIMIT > 2000
C                   EXSR      CREDIT_CHECK
C                   ENDIF

Oh well, I hope this helps a little bit. You asked a very big/open question.
And I could go on... But, this has touched some of the basics anyway...

Please let me know if this helped you out...
:)

Sincerely,

Kenneth A. Killian,
Connections 2000 www.conn2000.com