  • Subject: Re: external *PRTF (was: RE: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What'sthe difference!!!)
  • From: "Todd kidwell" <Todd.kidwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:35:30 -0400

<snip>

>Then I came across another program I was trying to debug that had an
>external print file.  Okay, I was going to have to open up the source for
>that one.  I searched for the report file, and couldn't find it.  I then went
>the OCL and saw that the print file was overridden and was another name.
>I fouind the print file, then went to find the source, I couldn't find it.
>After
>at least half an hours search I found  the source in a completely differet
>library, someone had moved the report file, but didn't take the source
>with it.
>
>So, after 2 to 3 hours I was able to fix the bug that should of taken me
>10 or 15 minutes at the most.  I have never used RLU since.  This is the
>fault of the program designer for overiding the print file and moving the
>print file?  True.  But, we all know, this stuff happens.  It just doesn't
>happen if the O specs are in the RPG source in the first place.

But the same argument could be made _against_ putting the O specs in the RPG
source...

If there is sloppy source control which allowed the print file object and the
source to become separated, the same thing could happen to the RPG program
object and the source.  What if the RPG source had the O specs but you were
changing the wrong RPG source?  Wouldn't this actually make the problem worse?
You may of made the right changes to the O specs, but inadvertently wiped out a
previous change - and you may not of found out until after you promoted the
program to production and got a call from an angry user.

... just a thought ...

Todd Kidwell (Netstar)
AS/400 System Administrator