  • Subject: Re: external *PRTF (was: RE: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What's the difference!!!)
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:49:26 -0700

Just thougt I'd jump into the fray.

Re: Abestos causing cancer in labratory animals.

Actually, it has been shown that scientists cause cancer in labratory animals.
<g>

Re: External reports .vs. Internal Reports (RLU .vs. O Specs)

When I first started on the AS/400 most of the code was in S/36 RPG.
Almost all of the programs used O specs.  I came across one program that
used an external printer file, and I decided to try out RLU and to see what
it was all about.  I created a quick report program in RPG III and created
the report, and designed it, and ran it, and worked out all the bugs and though
it was pretty good.

Then I came across another program I was trying to debug that had an
external print file.  Okay, I was going to have to open up the source for
that one.  I searched for the report file, and couldn't find it.  I then went to
the OCL and saw that the print file was overridden and was another name.
I fouind the print file, then went to find the source, I couldn't find it.
After
at least half an hours search I found  the source in a completely differet
library, someone had moved the report file, but didn't take the source
with it.

So, after 2 to 3 hours I was able to fix the bug that should of taken me
10 or 15 minutes at the most.  I have never used RLU since.  This is the
fault of the program designer for overiding the print file and moving the
print file?  True.  But, we all know, this stuff happens.  It just doesn't
happen if the O specs are in the RPG source in the first place.

Re: Internal Screen Design .vs. Screen design in RPG

If possible, would I design screens in RPG instead of SDA?  Yes and
No.  There have been some cases when I would have found it very
helpful and a lot easier to do screen design in RPG.  But, in most cases,
perhaps 95%, it is much easier and faster to do them in SDA.

Regards,

Jim Langston

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.