  • Subject: RE: DSPF with SRCFILE(*NONE) Re: external *PRTF (was: RE: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What's the difference!!!)
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:59:30 -0400

Anton,

Much clearer, thank you!  The "gentle" thing was a joke, intended to keep
the tone of the discussion light, since I find discussions with a light tone
to be much more productive (and enjoyable) for all involved than those with
lots of solemnity.

I agree that writing interactive applications using display files without
source is not practical.  Just in case anyone is still unclear on it, my
point was that the argument that internally-defined print files are not
analogous to internally-defined display files because the latter are
impossible is weak, since they actually are possible, even without any
display file source.  In essence, I was trying to get Dan to make the
confession that he ultimately made: that his preference for
internally-defined print files is a tool issue, not a functional issue.
Since that is my own belief as well, I considered it a test of my powers of
persuasion - and for once I actually passed. <g>

As for the DSM API's, I haven't had a good use for them yet, so I haven't
worked with them.  Having played with, and gotten frustrated by,
user-defined data streams at one time, I am glad to hear that they really
are Good Things (TM).

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC