  • Subject: RE: external *PRTF (was: RE: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What's the d ifference!!!)
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:14:24 -0400

Dan,

Sorry for the delay in responding, they keep wanting me to do something
called "work" here.  Looks like a 4-letter-word to me, but they can be
pretty persuasive...

Yeah, in a function-key world using that would be tricky at best.  It
wouldn't take much, though, for IBM to make it as effective as
program-described print files.  If they did, would you use it instead of DDS
display files?  Why, or why not?

Let me be honest for a moment - in reality I'm somewhat agnostic on where
report layouts are defined, in the program or in DDS.  I have a slight
preference for DDS, mainly due to the fact that my previous employer had a
habit of wanting reports changed to do things which are easy to do in DDS
but not easy to do in RPG.  You only go through the conversion hassle a
couple of times before you realize that it would have saved time in the long
run if it was coded in DDS in the first place.  This little side trip was
mainly to see if the display file analogy held up or not - I think it does.

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC