  • Subject: RE: RPG Indicators
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <DBale@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:13:05 -0400

Jeez, I guess I'll never learn... (donning asbestos suit - again):

Sorry I missed this on your original post.  Too busy pontificating on the
functional rather than the philosophical <g>.  Although, on second glance, I
think it was Booth's endorsement on this point that got me going.

> The other rule of thumb I try to stick to is to have read loops no longer
than
> can comfortably be seen on one SEU screen.  If I have more processing
> than can be done 'between the reads', I typically move it into a
subroutine.

And, so, now you have to go find that subroutine in another place in the
source, which is _still_ more than one screenful.  Finding the matching
EndDo is, potentially, only more of a problem (than finding the EndSr) if
it's not documented (as I mentioned in my previous post, 'tis my practice to
do this).  Unless the 'between the reads' code is repeated somewhere else in
the program, I usually avoid moving it to a subroutine.

I still use subroutines to break up large sections of code into functional
pieces, but the read loop structure does not drive that decision.

Uh oh, I feel a rant mode coming on...
(RANT MODE: ON)
It drives me crazy to to have to jump around in subroutines nested ten or
more levels deep.  And the three statement subroutines?  What are these
geniuses thinking of?
(RANT MODE: OFF)

Hey, forgive me.  It's Monday _AND_ it's tax day; I was up waaaaaaaaaaaay
too late finishing my taxes last night.  So, this will be my last post
today.  (We'll see about that!)

- Dan Bale