  • Subject: Re: external *PRTF (was: RE: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What's the difference!!!)
  • From: "Nelson C. Smith" <ncsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:30:51 -0400

You just run in the 36 environment.  Didn't say I would want to, only that
it was still just as good as it ever was (which may not saying much).

Don't mean to be busting your chops on this. The original point was not than
internal was better than external or vice versa, just that it makes sense to
externalize print files for the very same reasons that it made sense to
externalize screen files and database files.  Just much more modular and
easier to maintain.

I don't about you, but I was overjoyed to get rid of I & O specs.  Why stop
halfway? Get rid of the remaining O-specs used by the printfiles.  Keeping
them, to me anyway,  is like getting rid of all your left-hand indicators
but tenatiously hanging on to the right-hand ones (Why, 'cause we've always
done it that way?).

BTW, the external printfile can be used by many programs if you just make it
generic.  I've used this approach before, at a previous shop, just by doing
a printfile override at the beginning of the program which sets all the
attributes of the "generic" printfile to be whatever that particular program
needs it to be.  In fact, I had five generics available, which allowed the
program to select and customize and print to up to five different print
files at a time.  Each printfile had 88 lines, containing one large field on
each line.  The print programs simply loaded up a MODS with 88 occurrances
and called a generic print program that would print out one page at a time.
Very much like working with one screen at a time except it was all loaded up
dynamically. The pages being printed could be done sequentially or
intermixed or however you wanted them to be.  The overrides controlled
everything and as you moved from one print program to another, you just
reset the overrides for however many printfiles you needed.

Many of my screen programs use the same concept.  Just 24 lines  of 79
character fields that are loaded up dynamically inside the program to print
anything you want.  Admittedly, it doesn't work too well for input fields, b
ut it's great for output only, which is what the reports are and a great
many screens.

ILE has made all this so much easier, once you get a service program of
procedures set up and working. A little be tedious to initially build, but
then you can use 'em everywhere.

Anyway, whatever floats your boat.....