  • Subject: RE: FTP from PC to AS400
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 8:41:41 -0500

You are correct.  You need an FTP server on your NT box.
Also you are correct that if you ping by name it will return your IP address.
Damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead!

DBale@lear.com on 04/11/2000 05:28:18 PM
Please respond to RPG400-L@midrange.com@Internet
To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com@Internet
cc:
Fax to:

As you suggested, I did the Network Neighborhood thing.  Got the computer
name; went over to Protocols and selected TCP/IP but all the buttons,
including Properties, remained dimmed.

But I should be able to use FTP with the computer name, right?

I just tried pinging with the computer name from the NT command prompt, got
four lines of:
    Reply from 11.1.25.26: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Am I to assume that 11.1.25.26 is my IP address?

I also PINGed 11.1.25.26 from an AS/400 command line and got 5 lines of:
    PING reply n from 11.1.25.26 took 1 ms. 256 bytes. TTL 127.

However, when I tried connecting using FTP on the AS/400, I got the
following:
    Connecting to remote host 11.1.25.26 using port 21.

    Cannot connect to host 11.1.25.26 at address 11.1.25.26. Try again
later.
Was this because there is no FTP server loaded on the PC?

(BTW, 11.1.25.26 is not the real address that displayed; didn't know whether
that would invite the world to my PC or not, so I played it safe.)

- Dan Bale