  • Subject: external *PRTF (was: RE: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What's the difference!!!)
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <DBale@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:35:02 -0400

Really don't mean to start a holy war here <g>, but...  IMNSHO:

External printer files - BLEAAHHH!  If it's used in only one program, which
is the case for 99.95% of all printer files I've ever come across, then keep
it in the RPG source!

Granted, had IBM's braindead RLU been something closer to what RDA (by
BugBusters???) is, then I might have formed a different opinion ten years
ago.  Then again, since RDA allows you to choose between creating printer
DDS specs or RPG O-specs, who knows?  There's really not a whole lot you can
do in DDS that can't be done in RPG O-specs for _most_ printer output.

Honestly, though, it really isn't an "ease of design / development" issue
with me.  For me, it's an "ease of maintenance" issue, since I do much more
maintenance than new development.
Internal: One source member. External: Two source members.
Internal: No confusing where the printer file source is; it's right there.
External: Ever been in a JBA shop? 'nuf said.
Internal: One edit session, one compile.  External: Two edit sessions, two
compiles.
Internal: When RPG compile error occurs, you just need to look for errors in
the RPG source.  External:  When RPG compile error occurs, you need to check
the RPG compile listing, oops - not there, now go check the printer file
DDS, make corrections, recompile DDS, recompile RPG.

All that said, I always follow the shop standards.  I can do printer specs
either way.

Jon, please indicate why you think "it is just better and safer to describe
these things externally."

- Dan Bale