  • Subject: Re: AS/400 Programmer's Handbook
  • From: dbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:26:48 -0400

Hi Folks,   Mark McCall is coming out with a new book with some ILE concepts.  I
am forwarding his email reply to you.

Personally, I can't wait to get his new book!
Darlene
----- Forwarded by Darlene H Bryant/Banpharm on 04/07/2000 07:19 AM -----
|--------+--------------------------->
|        |          "Mark McCall"    |
|        |          <markmccall@sprin|
|        |          tmail.com>       |
|        |                           |
|        |          04/06/2000 07:11 |
|        |          PM               |
|        |                           |
|--------+--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     Darlene H Bryant/Banpharm@Banpharm       |
  |       cc:                                              |
  |       Subject:     Re: AS/400 Programmer's Handbook    |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

Hi Darlene,
I really appreciate your recommendation of my book.  I have not seen a need
to re-write the book yet, since an ILE version is already given for each
example.  The first book does not cover important ILE concepts such as
sub-procedures and service programs.  Rather than drastically changing the
contents of the first book, I decided to write a second book.  My new book
"The AS/400 Programmer's Handbook Volume 2" is being printed now.  The RPG
examples are written completely in ILE.  Here is the table of contents for
the new book:

Part 1 RPG Programming Examples
Chapter 1 Modular Coding Techniques
5 modular coding technique examples, including /Copy compiler directives,
subroutines, dynamic subprograms, subprocedures, and service programs

Chapter 2 Built-In Function Examples
24 examples of RPG's most useful built-in functions

Chapter 3 Exit Program Examples
7 exit program examples, including user profile monitoring, data transfer
security, and job notification

Chapter 4 Application Programming Interface Examples
8 system API examples, including command execution and processing, retrieval
APIs, list APIs, user space APIs, and ILE CEE APIs

Part 2 Database Examples
Chapter 5 Database Constraint Examples
5 database constraint examples, including check constraints, unique and
primary key constraints, and referential integrity constraints

Chapter 6 Database Trigger Program Examples
3 database trigger program examples

Chapter 7 SQL Examples
19 SQL examples, including logical views, selects, joins, summaries, and
embedded SQL

Thanks again Darlene.  It is always a pleasure to hear from you.

Mark