  • Subject: the new IBM redbook 'A Sorcerer's Guide . . . '
  • From: "Lehti, Eric" <eric.lehti@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:11:40 -0600

I 'second that commotion' that the new IBM redbook is great.  I bought it
and am impressed also.  Others can order "Who Knew You Could Do That with
RPG IV? A Sorcerer's Guide to System Access and More." at this URL:

http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0738415332

This redbook is focused on RPG IV as a modern, thriving, and rich
application development language for the 21st century. It is written for
those AS/400 system programmers that are in the cusp between RPG/400 and RPG
IV and are looking for hints and tips to make the move forward worth their
while. This book promises to drop little golden nuggets of information in
the form of code samples and style guidelines. Picking up each golden nugget
will lead you step-by-step down the path that will eventually allow you to
take full advantage of RPG IV and the Integrated Language Environment (ILE).
Even the most experienced RPG IV programmer will find something useful in
this redbook.

We know you have been busy running your business instead of following RPG IV
enhancements. So, we have included a timeline outlining the history of the
RPG IV language and all the technical updates to the language since V3R1.
You can use this timeline to assist in determining which of the many
enhancements you can take advantage of to solve the real business problems
today.

In V3R2 and V3R6, RPG IV added support for user-defined subprocedures
marking the defining point at which RPG IV can truly be considered a modern
programming language. This redbook shows you both the style and function of
how to make the subprocedures work for you.

One of the keys to the power of RPG IV is in its ability to prototype any
system function and make things happen! This redbook shows you how to use
RPG IV to: - Use the TCP/IP sockets APIs - Read and write directly to the
Integrated File System (IFS) - Use dynamically server HTML Web pages with
the CGI interface - Exploit program-to-program communications with data
queues (DTAQ) - Directly access user spaces (USRSPC) - Communicate with the
system and users via message handling - Write exit programs (anonymous FTP)

RPG IV and DB2/400 have always enjoyed a tight integration between language
and database. Now, learn how to exploit the new CLI database APIs and access
your business data with embedded SQL, stored procedures, trigger programs,
and commitment control (CC).

Modern tools can significantly improve your productivity. This redbook also
briefly introduces such tools as CODE/400 for rapid server-side development
and VisualAge for RPG for rapid client-side RPG in a client/server
environment.