  • Subject: Re: Bale, Dan
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:52:38 -0500

Hans,

>That procedure has a couple of problems.  First, you need
>to define the return value as type 1N, not 1A, if you want
>to invoke it the way you do in the IF statement.

Well, I still typically target V3R2 code and can't define indicator
types, so I still pass return values as 1A.  Of course, that also
means I must code    If  IsNegative( field ) = True

>Secondly, if you pass a value of say -0.0000000001 [or]
>values greater than 9999999999999999999...

I did qualify it as only working on numeric fields up to 30 digits and
9 decimals, by which I meant no more than 21 significant digits to the
left of the decimal or more than 9 decimal positions.  But I figured
we all knew what that meant.  I have never yet had a business ap which
needed larger values than that, although I suppose some have.

C'mon Hans, you're always griping that we ask you to give us %BIF's
instead of coding our own subprocedures.  So I try and beat you to the
punch and offer one, then you go and point out that it has limitations
that a true %BIF wouldn't have.

Doug